Dozens of false ebony trees have been destroyed in the Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Forest only a kilometre away from Con Roang border guard station.
Dozens of trees have been destroyed in the Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Forest
In the report sent to Quang Binh Province People’s Committee on March 4, Phong Nha-Ke Bang Management Board stated that 66 trees had been cut down, including 44 false ebony trees, and the loggers had taken about 70 cubic metres of timber.
The marks at the site showed that the loggers might have been started destroying the forest since last November.
The destroyed area is in the inner part of Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park and only a kilometre away from the Con Roang border guard station. A tent was also found two kilometres away with a cubic metre of timber. It was later found out that the tent was rented by a local in Bo Trach District.
Many people have raised questions about the close proximity of the destroyed area to the guard station and why no one noticed the activities. “The population density in the border area is low so strangers would be noticed right away. It’s absurd that no one noticed anything when dozens of loggers from other provinces came and felled trees near the guard station,” a local said.
The Phong Nha-Ke Bang Management Board said they would take responsibility as the forest’s manager but Con Roang border guards should be blamed too. According to the managers, they focused on other parts of the forest, thinking that loggers wouldn’t dare work near the border guard station. Moreover, whenever they wanted to tour the border area, they had to ask for permission first which diminished their ability to carry out spot checks.
In order to bring the timber to towns, the loggers would use the Quyet Thang road which has four guard stations located along it. All vehicles are expected to be checked except the red-plated military vehicles from the border guard station.
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park Management Board are working with related agencies to investigate the case.